Activity name: Words within Words
Skill focus: Writing
Participation: Individual or group
Level: Primary, Middle, Secondary
Learning objective: To improve the vocabulary of the learners.
Time: 2 to 7 minutes
- Choose a word or a phrase and write it in on the board in capital letters. (Example- LANGUAGE)
- Make two to three words, using the letters of the word written on the board.
- Ensure that no letter is used more often in the newly formed words than it is in the word on the board.
- Each new word should have at least two letters.
- Write the new words on the board to enable the students to understand the task better.
Here are three words made from the letters of the word “language”
- Ask the learners to form as many words as they can from the given word.
- Do this activity by timing it as well.
- The child who is able to form the maximum number of words is declared the winner.
- The children share their words with each other either by writing them on the board or by fixing their sheet on the bulletin board.
- The new or difficult words are discussed in the class.
Manu Gulati is a TGT English in Sarvodya Kanya Vidyalaya, Punjabi Bagh, New Delhi.She is interested in preparing low cost activitues and tasks to improve Engish skills of school children.